Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Officer Mazany Blue Ribbon 5K 9.23.18: Here's to You West Geauga Class of '88

Hmmmm, perhaps partying all weekend with people you grew up with IS the key to a great race after all. The inaugural Officer Mathew Mazany Blue Ribbon 5K benefited the family of Office Mazany, a Mentor police officer who was killed by a hit-skip driver on Route 2 during a traffic stop this summer. I wanted to do it because it was for a good cause and the race was right up the street from where I live but hesitated signing up because of my class reunion. Even this morning I considered bailing…after all, I supported the race with my entry fee so did I REALLY need to go? Well I’m glad I did. It must have been the "power of 88" because not only did I NOT hurl at all, but I managed to pull of an AG award. But not only that, ran my fastest 5K of the year AND was only 30 seconds from a lifetime PR. What the???!! Here I was just hoping to not throw up! LOL But get this….what song from my playlist came on during my last mile shortly before the finish but Kick Start My Heart from Motley Crue…. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps a certain "DJ" was playing "DJ". I smiled, thought to myself "this one's for you, Class of 88" and seemingly out of no where, found there was a little left in the tank for a decent finish so I picked up the pace. When I rounded the corner to the finish and saw the clock just changed to 24:00, I couldn't believe it and out of no where once again, had a little more left to kick it up one more notch. LOL So thank you, class of 88 for an absolutely incredible weekend and getting me to that finish line this morning.

What's more important than my victory though is the reason behind the race; a community coming together and showing support for a fallen hometown hero. That means more than any award or finish line result. Together we raised over $6000 for his family and before the awards, they called Officer Mazany's brother and put him over the loud speaker to address the crowd. You could hear in his voice how touched he was and after losing my own brother in a tragic way, I know how it feels to have the support of complete strangers so I am glad I was there to be a part of it.

Stats
24:20
2/31 AG
12/139 Females
33/243 OA

Splits
7:51, 8:16, 8:04

I even had Paul Sharpie "88 is Great" next to my
IRun4Jacob "tattoo" for good luck.

Of course wearing on of my very own custom-designed  JKS Designs tank tops! 

Race awards and another shirt to send to Jacob! Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment