Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Every mile a memory: Rick's Last High School XC Meet 10.22.18

And THAT, my friends, is how you finish your senior high school cross country (XC) career. I laughed, I cried, I screamed, I jumped up and down, I hugged.


I have to admit this has been a very bittersweet season. Awesome and amazing because Rick has done so well but sad because I know this will be our last time as XC parents and it has been such a FUN four years that went by WAY too quickly and I am really, really going to miss this.


Yesterday's XC meet, the Rotem Invitational, was Rick's last high school XC meet held on our school's home course at Garfield Park. Every other sport at Mentor High School has a senior recognition night where seniors and parents are recognized on the field and but our last meet has always been elsewhere so there was never one for the XC runners. Since Rick's coach decided to hold the last race of the season at "home," the parent's club thought it would be nice to have a senior night with a pot luck afterward. Oh gosh, if I didn't need even MORE reason to get teary-eyed. LOL.

So how do you finish you ask? With a lifetime PR of 17:17 and winning your last XC race on your home course…not just winning on your team but winning the whole dang race and placing 1/113 runners and leading your team on to a first place victory! There couldn’t have been a more fantastic finish if we planned it.

There are no words to express how absolutely incredible it was when my Rick-star appeared out of the woods leading the pack the last 2.5 miles of the race to the finish. My kid…the one who joined the team because we really didn’t give him a choice four years ago found something in himself and became a true running rock star. Of course, he could have been dead last and I would have still been just as proud but dang…I will never forget these moments watching him shine for as long as I live. Thank you Aunt Nadine and Grandma Carolyn for being there to cheer him on for this most fantastic finish.

#thanksforthememories #lusciouslocks #everymileamemory #belegendary #proudxcmom #proudmamabear #onceacard

Rick before his first race, time trials freshman year, and after his last race, Rotem. You've come a long way, buddy! 

Rick's award (shirt), bib, jersey, and since it was also Senior Recognition Night, I received a flower.


For all the pictures and videos taken, visit the team photo album here.

Click below to see the videos of:
Rick run at that beginning of the race
The first pass
The second pass
The third pass where he came out of the woods leading the pack with no one behind (mentioned above)
And the finish of all finishes!

On a side note, if you watch as he runs past me, there is an orb. I'd like to think that was my dad, Papa D, letting us know he was there too. He was always at all of the grand children's sporting events and sadly he never got to see Rick run...this is the not the first time I've seen an orb and it always makes me smile when I see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment