Thursday, October 4, 2018

IRun4Jacob: How one boy and his family changed my races...and my life

Have you ever wondered why I sharpie IRun4 Jacob or wear a make-shift sign on by back when I do a race? It's because of this guy. I'd like to introduce you to my buddy, Jacob (left) and his twin brother, Joe. August 31 was a big day for them...that is the day they turned 5! 

What is IRun4 you ask? It's a non-profit organization where athletes of all levels and kinds – runners, walkers, yogis, triathletes, etc. – are paired with children and adults with physical, mental, and developmental special-needs. I first learned about the program in 2016 from one of my Ragnar teammates and she mentioned she sent all of her race medals to her buddy. I thought how cool, I could send my buddy all the race shirts I never wear to someone who would. After waiting for over a year and half to be matched up, I received the news last November right before the Nike Cross Regionals race that I finally had a buddy from Arkansas and that day my life was forever changed. Nike was my first race as his buddy and he has been "with" me ever since. He and his twin brother, Joe, were born at 29 weeks old. While Joe is in perfect health now, Jacob has a host of medial issues. He has an immune system disorder called hypogammaglobulinemia and then low to no antibody response to vaccines, which are two very rare diseases in pediatrics. He also has chronic lung disease and cerebral palsy. Every day is a challenge, especially during cold and flu season because so many people are sick making it difficult for them to even leave the house. His mom, Rebecca, and I have become dear friends and even though we've never met in person, we talk daily and have become the best of friends. 

Jacob has become more than just someone I run for, he and his family are now my family too. So today I would like to wish a very happy birthday to a boy (and his brother) who inspires me every single day. Jacob, you and your family are blessings in my life and I thank God every day for you. Happy 5th birthday's boys and God's blessings for many, many more. xoxoxo


Happy 5th birthday, boys. Love and hugs from the North Coast! 

Sweet Jacob wearing my shirt from the Nike Cross Regionals race.

Nike Cross Regionals with Rick's XC team...my first of many races as Jacob's buddy.
Sharpie credit: Paul Cimino.  He has gotten so good with the sharpie he can have it done in less than a minute.

My makeshift sign when the weather is too cold and I can't be sharpied.

The Run for Someone is a different program but
I got a medal to send to Jacob because I run for him.

Lots of race shirts for Jacob. These are just a few of many.
When my son Rick does a race too, he gets a shirt to give to Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment