Friday, May 10, 2019

Forever 23 ~ 23 years later 5.10.19

Flashback to 5.10.96 and Cleveland 90s Alternative Station 107.9 WENZ The End's D.J. Ted Kowalski… 
"We got this fax yesterday. Let me share this with you." (reading the fax) 
"Dear 107.9 The End. I would like to make a song request to be played May 10th at 10:59 a.m. if possible. I would like to request "Lightening Crashes" by Live and "Sister" by the Nixons. You see, on May 10th my brother, Rick Whitcomb, would have turned 24 years old but on January 19, 1996, he was murdered. His legal time of death was 10:59 [p.m.] hence the request for 10:59. He was huge fan of Live, as a matter of fact, we played "Lightening Crashes" at his funeral, and even though the song is called "Sister", the words are a perfect reminder of him. I hope I don’t sound like I should be writing this to the Casey Kasem Countdown Show I just know a lot of his friends listen to 107.9 The End and so do I and it would really mean a lot to hear one, if not both songs, in memory of his birthday. You guys are the greatest. Sincerely, his sister, Joy. 
For Rick…Live, on The End…"
At the age of 23 23 year ago, God decided He needed my brother more than we did and on a cold January night, Rick finally got to see the stars. I'll never forget writing to the radio station as his birthday was approaching and thinking the fax would just get tossed aside, only to be sitting at work (with boom box at my desk and cassette tape ready to go "just in case") and hearing the DJ start to read my fax AND play not one but both songs, too. Wow, that's all I can say. Today, in honor of what would have been his 47th birthday, I am reposting the video I created in 2011 dedicated to not only what was his 15th birthday without him, but to the friends and family who helped keep his memory alive. Even to this day, 23 years later, the impact my brother had on those who knew him and loved him can still be felt and I am thankful that while he may be gone from this Earth, he certainly is not forgotten. 
Slick Rick AKA Ace, there is not a day that goes by, even 23 years later, that I don't miss you terribly but every day without you is one day closer to being with you…I am thankful for the faith and beliefs mom and Papa D instilled in us that this life is not The End and because of God's promise, I will see your smiling face and feel one of your amazing hugs once again. Be sure to give Papa D a hug for me, ok, 'cuz I sure do miss him, too. Until we meet again…..

#4E23 #holdontomemories #itsallaboutthe5s #homefree1996 #untilwemeetagain

You can read more about my brother and a life taken way too early on the tribute page I created for him on Facebook: Home Free - In Memory of Richard G. Whitcomb, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment