Monday, January 19, 2015

Where my faith comes from

"I'm trying hard not to think you unkind
Rick and me at our cousin's wedding - August 1995

But Heavenly Father
If you know my heart
Surely you can read my mind
Good people underneath the sea of grief
Some get up and walk away
Some will find ultimate relief"


~ "Home Free" by Wayne Watson

The first time I heard this song 19 years ago was a defining moment in my life. It was the last song played at my brother's funeral and when I heard it that day, it was in that moment that my parents' faith impacted me in a way that would change my life forever. I grew up in a Christian home but their faith really didn't make an impression on me until my brother was murdered. Here they were, burying their only son and rather than walking away from their God, they clung to Him even tighter. They wanted to make sure that not only was Rick's funeral service a celebration of his life, but also a way to minister/witness to family and friends the message of salvation, that they too could be "Home Free" and see Rick's smiling face again. It's because of my parents' example during that time and in the years that have followed that I have the faith that I have. They showed me that faith will get you through anything. It has gotten me through the last 19 years and will get me through the next 19 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment