Monday, May 1, 2017

It's Time of Year Again: The Annual Race for the Place 5K

Elijah after he was
admitted in January
If you've been following my blog over the years, you'll know that The Gathering Place's annual Race for the Place 5K/1Mile Walk is a special race to me for many reasons and I run it every year for the ever-growing list of friends, family members, and other loved ones who have been diagnosed with cancer. It was the race that "started it all" for me running wise in 2014 and what I now refer to as my "race-a-versary." It is held the first Sunday in June, rain or shine, on National Cancer Survivors Day

In 2016, there were a lot of races I wanted to do and decided with so many on my schedule, I would pick one to serve as my "goal" race meaning it would be the race I worked towards setting my 5K PR for that year. With all this race has become to me, it only made sense so 2016's race would be "for" me and I decided to make my goal to run the 5K in under 25:00. I also decided to branch off from the team we were with and team Just Keep Swimming…and Running was formed. Not only did I finish in 24:43, achieving my goal, I finished 3rd overall in the Female Cancer Survivor division.

This year, I am running it in honor of Elijah, a young man whom I got to know through the Young Marine program I have been a staff member of for the last 11 years. Elijah is currently undergoing a long and very intense treatment at the Cleveland Clinic for AML, a very aggressive form of leukemia. Since Elijah had to spend his 18th birthday in the hospital, I made my fundraising goal $1,800. My time goal for this year is to set a new PR of a sub 24:00 5K also in honor of him.

We are team "Just Keep Swimming...and Running" and I would love for you to join us to support this wonderful cause! Not a runner? No problem! Walk the 5K or sign up to do the 1 Mile Walk. Either way you are supporting an wonderful organization. Even though this event is a fundraiser for The Gathering Place, there is no pressure to raise a certain amount of money when you join a team like there is with other charity races. As a matter of fact, several people solely pay the race fee which serves as their contribution. Of course, donations are always appreciated but certainly not required.

To learn more about The Gathering Place and the free services they offer to cancer patients and their families right here in our community, please visit their website at www.touchedbycancer.org or their Facebook page.

Thank you for your support!



No comments:

Post a Comment