Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Just keeping swimming...and running

I'm everything I am because you loved me, Papa D
Although it's purely coincidental, it's kind of fitting that today, two weeks after Papa D's home going, our team has been officially set up for The Gathering Place's Race for the Place 5K/1 Mile Fun Walk.

In 2013, I participated in the 1 mile walk. In 2014, I decided to run the 5K, my first ever, after my dear friend and sister in pink, Kris Stefanac, went home to be with the Lord after a hard-fought battle with triple negative breast cancer in January of that year and vowed to run the 5K in her memory (and also remembering my friend, Julie Nelson Duellman, whose battle ended a week before the race). It was after last year's race that I fell in love with running and have been participating in various races ever since.

This year's race has taken on an even more important meaning. My dear, sweet father, Dick Whitcomb, affectionately known as "Papa D," went home to be with the Lord on April 14 after a 27 month battle with lung cancer, a battle he fought fiercely until the moment he took his last breath. I am dedicating this year's race to him. I am also running for the long list of family and friends who have been afflicted with the disease and are survivors and those who are no longer with us and remain in our hearts.

On a side note, I also donated the $73 in commissions I received over the last year from the sales at my Just Keep Swimming custom design t-shirt store front at Customized Girl. Thank you to everyone who purchased an item. I plan on doing the same thing next year.

Visit my personal fundraising page for Race for the Place to either join my team or make a donation.

Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment