Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My brother's 45th birthday

Rick holding my son, Kelly
Fourty-five years ago today, my baby brother, Rick, was born. Even though we fought like brothers and sisters do, he was so much fun to grow up with. So many happy memories! I will never forget how he would make us laugh, especially when we were camping: we'd be at the pool and he'd do his crazy dives and belly flops, or when Janna and I made him talk like a girl and called him "Suzie" because we had to take him into the girl's restroom since he couldn't see at night. There are many other happy memories, but those are the two I remember most often, especially since we still camp to this day. And the happy memories continued as we got older. Rick had the most amazing smile and even more amazing hugs and there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him terribly. But I know that for every day I miss him, I am one day closer to seeing him again.

I think one of the hardest things about his birthday this year is that in the next week or so, I will welcome my first grandchild. It really hit me like a ton of bricks this morning when I came across the picture of Rick holding my Kelly when he was a few days old or remembering when he came to see me in the hospital and how excited he was to be an uncle again. Knowing my brother will not be here to welcome Kelly’s son, Kelly Jr., or hold him, or knowing he is just one more family addition who will never have the pleasure of knowing my brother, makes me miss not only him, but Papa D, all the more.

There are so many songs that would be fitting for this day, but rather than trying to choose the “best” one, I decide to repost the YouTube video I made in May, 2011.

Happy birthday, Rick. I know you are smiling down on us from heaven and I am thankful for God’s promise that this life isn’t the end and I will see you again someday. Love you, brother! Give Papa D a kiss and hug from me. xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment