Sunday, October 4, 2015

Every Mile a Memory: Northern Ohio Marathon

A year ago, I ran my first half marathon, the Northern Ohio Marathon/Half Marathon, in honor of my dad, Richard Whitcomb AKA Papa D. I had only started running in March of that year and it was after my first 5k in June that I fell in love with running. A lot has happened over this past year and as you know, my dad is now in heaven. This morning, I ran the marathon as part of a 5-person relay team we named One Motley Crew. It's hard not to think about what I was doing a year ago, why I was running the race, or remembering how excited I was when I called my dad and told him I had finished the race and later showed him my medal without feeling sad and missing my dad something fierce. I decided that while it's ok to think of my dad and it's ok to miss him, today is a different race with new memories made with my husband, Paul, brother-in-law, Eric, two good friends, Tammy and Nicole, and my big sis, Nadine (who was our designated driver). Since it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I wore pink in honor of all my sisters in pink: the warriors, the survivors, and the taken, with thoughts and memories of two very special sisters, Kris Stefanac and Julie Nelson Duellman.

Congrats to team our team for placing 9th out of 17 teams with a time of 4:00:57. I somehow managed to run my 5.87 mile leg at a pace of 8:58...a completely unexpected surprise.

Today was a day I will never forget. Great times with family and great friends. Just keep swimming....and running.

One Motley Crew



No comments:

Post a Comment