Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A wearable tribute to my brother brought back to life

The night my brother was murdered in 1996, he was wearing a peace sign necklace. Shortly after he died, I found a similar one and for more years than I can remember afterward, I wore the necklace every single day. When it would break, I'd buy a new one. Eventually, it got harder and harder to find a peace sign necklace until finally, my wearable tribute to my brother became a thing of the past (and I'm sure those who know me won't find this hard to believe but still have every necklace).


Since Karen at Aviron Jewelry created such a work of art with my beautiful runners necklace, I asked if she could make another necklace. She said for this design, she could use a silver peace symbol. I loved the idea! (you can read more about the meaning behind the peace symbol in my post: "More then just a piece of jewelry"). Once again, Karen did not disappoint and the necklace turned out to be more beautiful than I imagined. And the leather chain was a perfect addition since the necklace my brother was wearing the night he died also included a leather chain.


I love ankle bracelets and after going all summer without one because my favorite one broke and I really couldn't find one that really appealed to me, I figured if Karen was making me another necklace, why not have her make an ankle bracelet, too. Even though this piece doesn't have the special meaning behind it like my necklaces do, it is beautiful and I love it all the same. The summer may be over and the colder weather may be on it's way, but you can be certain I will wear my ankle bracelet until the flip flops and capris are put away for the year!

So now I have two more custom-designed pieces added to my collection, two more treasured possessions that will I cherish. And thanks to Karen at Aviron Jewelry, the wearable tribute to my brother has been brought back to life.

Visit Aviron Jewelry on the web, Facebook, and Etsy.

You can read more about my brother and a life taken way too early on the tribute page I created for him on Facebook: Home Free - In Memory of Richard G. Whitcomb, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment