Monday, May 5, 2014

Keeping the Wheels on the Bus

Why is it that I do so well (for the most part) saying on track, drinking lots of water, and watching what I eat during the week but then the weekend comes and the wheels completely fall off the bus? Perhaps this weekend was just bad in general because my husband was out of town and I didn't feel like cooking? Friday nights we bowl so we did  our usual pre-bowling dinner. That was supposed to be my "cheat night." My sons were both off doing their own thing on Saturday so I met a girlfriend for dinner. They were home different times on Sunday so I had a "date" with my oldest for lunch and a "date" with my youngest for dinner. Over the course of the weekend, I ate out four times (ugh) and while I didn't completely pig out, I certainly didn't pick the least calorie options.  I think I'm just going to have to chalk this up as my "cheat weekend!"

At least I still exercised each day so this weekend wasn't a total loss. I figured if I was going to "play", I would still need to "pay," right?!  I worked out Friday morning, did back-to-back cardio classes Saturday morning, and went for a run on Sunday. Friday morning wasn't bad but I was really paying on Saturday because my first class, which is tough on it's own, was even more so this weekend. Thankfully, the second class wasn't so demanding. When I went for my run on Sunday, it was about all I could do to run 2.7 miles. And getting up this morning to do a workout was the last thing I felt like doing, my body was tired and felt "run down" but I dragged my butt out of bed anyway. I think the guilt made me do it.

So why is it that when the weekend comes around, some of us tend to let our hair down? Personally, I think keeping the wheels on the bus really comes down to one thing: self control. I believe we should all have a "cheat" but I need to learn to make it a day or a meal, not the whole weekend and not make excuses (including exercise) why it's ok to do otherwise.  I am definitely doing better than I was a couple months ago but I really, really need to improve upon it, especially now that I am more serious about getting in shape and with swimsuit season right around the corner (if it ever warms up, that is). What's interesting and what I really noticed this weekend is now that I've been trying to eat better, I can definitely tell a difference in my energy level and how I feel in general when I don't.  This weekend was a perfect example! And today I have the blahs and not the typical Monday morning ones.

Self control, I would have to say, is my biggest struggle as I am sure it is with many people so I know I'm not alone. The good habits I am developing during the week need to be carried on into the weekend so the wheels stay on the bus. So that is going to be one of my goals….and perhaps the next time my husband goes out of town, I should consider joining him.

No comments:

Post a Comment