Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Home Sick

"You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow

I've never been more homesick than now"

~Lyrics to the song "Home Sick" by the group Mercy Me

On April 21, it was one week ago that Papa D went home. One week ago I got to hold his hand and kiss his forehead, one week ago I got to tell him I loved him one last time. I thought I was doing ok today until I thought about my son, Rick's, track meet in later this afternoon. It probably comes as no surprise my dad was the kind of grandfather who rarely missed a sporting event of his grandkids. Rain, shine, snow, sleet, he was there. This is Rick's first year playing a sport and I realized this morning that he will never get to experience the feeling of pride knowing his Papa D is cheering him on from the stands. My heart is broken yet again.

Yep, I'm home sick today. I will be home sick every day. But today, I am thankful for the sunshine. I believe it's God's way reminding me it will all be ok….and that Papa D will be cheering Rick on from heaven.

Thank you all again for the outpouring of love and support over this past week; whether you attended the calling hours, the Celebration of Life service, sent a card, flowers, a text, email, or message, stopped by the house, or even just said a prayer or thought about our family. To say I'm blessed really doesn't convey how much it has meant to me and my family. I am touched beyond words.
I will never forget how it felt to hold my dad's hand
when I was a child or during the last months of his life
or the day I got to tell him I loved him one last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment