Thursday, May 1, 2014

The benefits of ginger

Most of us know the importance of drinking plenty of water. I thought I would share this information with you.

The medical massotherapist my oncologist has me see and I were talking about the importance of water. She recently attended a seminar regarding our lymphatic system and one of the best ways to keep it functioning properly is by drinking lots of water. Many of us already know the health benefits of adding lemon to our water, but did you know that ginger has great health benefits as well? 

There are several ways to incorporate ginger into your diet; add it to your tea, smoothie, dressings, recipes etc. but what my massotherapist does is add it to her water. She cuts off a slice/chuck from a ginger root (about 1/8"-1/4") and leaves it in her water bottle as she drinks her water throughout the day. Since I am not a fan of ginger, I admit I was hesitant to try it but I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. It's actually not too bad and now part of my daily routine. I like to "score" the flesh just a bit with a knife, fork, etc. and leave it in my water glass all afternoon and into the evening. It lasts through several fill ups and sometimes I'll score it again to release more of it's flavor. I'll add it to my sparking water, too. So if you're looking for a way to enhance your water, give ginger root a try. 

Here are a couple of links to learn more:

World's Healthiest Foods
Lifehack.org

PS. Ginger is said to be a good anti-inflammatory so if you're like me and try to stay away from ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen unless it's absolutely necessary, ginger can be a good alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment